Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hunger Games

I loved the book.  I could not but The Hunger Games down.  It was a page turner and it made you want to what was going to happen next.  It related to the other books we read by how the capitol was trying to show control. Just like in 1984 where Big Brother was trying to show control and in Feed where the corporations were trying to show control.  I really responded to the situation between Peeta and Katniss.  They were both intense characters.  Once I caught on to the fact that Peeta was really being serious about his love for Katniss, I wanted to know if she would realize it was real also.  The way Katniss acted and the way the sponsors responded to her actions was also very amusing.  It was also intense at the end when she decided to rebel against the capitol instead of giving them the show she wanted.  She was a complex and interesting character that kept you intrigued.
A connection that I made to The Hunger Games was the MTV show, The Duel.  The players in the Duel fight to knock each other out so only one remains the winner.  They form alliances and turn on each other throughout the duel.  It reminded me of how the tributes in the game formed alliances and knew that eventually they would have to begin to turn on one another.  I thought it was interesting how the people in the book would watch the games on TV to see who would make it out alive just like we watch shows like The Duel to see who will win, and we don't care who gets hurt just like the capitol doesn't care who dies.



3 comments:

  1. That's a good connection between the Duel and the Games. I didn't even think of it, but they are pretty similar. I also loved the book, I kind of even want to read the rest of the books in the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this show! I agree, that is a really good connection. The Duel is definitely our version of Hunger Games, minus anyone being killed. A lot of contestants do get seriously injured though, and I feel like a lot of people watch for stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting connection to today's world. I didn't really think of it like that until i read this. I ended up really enjoying Hunger Games, even though it seemed to start out really slow for me. I'm interested to see what happens in the other books, and how the movie ends up.

    ReplyDelete